1) The article on the Roman fort is now available on the Castles Project website. Click here.
2) An article by Martin and Neil on the Castles Project and its implications for the local history of the area has been accepted by the Woolhope Society and will appear in its Transactions later in 2019. LDHS is a Member of the Woolhope, so the volume will be added to our library in due course for our members to access.
3) An article about the Longtown Castles Project and its relevance to the Mortimers was published in the Mortimer History Society’s online magazine, Mortimer Matters in September. To see it, just search for “Mortimer Matters”. It is also available through the Longtowncastles.com website on the 'Articles' page.
4) Neil and Martin have rewritten the English Heritage website entry for Longtown Castle. It’s a great improvement on what was there before. The Longtown & District Historical Society gets a mention and there is a link to the Longtown Castles Project website.
5) English Heritage has asked us to help with a film they are doing on community involvement with local heritage. The sites they selected are Winchester Palace in London, Hadrian’s Wall and Longtown Castle. The film is now available on the English Heritage website. Longtown is definitely punching above its weight at the moment.
6) The leaflets on the castle and a historic walk around Longtown have been a huge success this summer, with both tourists and locals. They were available from a dispenser at the castle, at Hopes of Longtown and from local pubs, B&Bs, campsites, etc. We are now on our second reprint of 1000 copies.