Enter your search words in the boxes on the left, clicking the ADD button as you complete
This will automatically build up the query for you, click SEARCH NOW when you're ready.
Once you are familiar with the
search options you may enter the query directly into the Your Query box, using the following optional commands:
- Leave a space between each word
- Words must be more than three letters long
- Enter a + (plus sign) before each word that MUST be found e.g. +Longtown
- Enter a - (minus sign) before each word that must NOT be found e.g. -Thomas
- Follow a partial word with * (asterisk). This is useful when you are not sure of a year e.g. 184*
- Group words together with parentheses ( ). This is useful for more complex queries e.g. +Michaelchurch +(Escley Escly Eskley)
which will find documents containing the word Michaelchurch and at least one of the alternative spellings of Escley.
- If you search for a word that we are aware has alternative spellings or meaning, the top of the results page will
give you options to view and include the additional words in your search.
- For names which include hyphens, search as a phrase so that the hypen is not interpreted as 'exclude from search' e.g. "Rhyd-y-Bach"
- Searches are not case-sensitive.